It's been a long time I have updated my foodie blog.
So thought why not today. I always loved cakes since childhood and my mom used to happily bake for me. She even kept a seperate container of cake exlusively for me, which I never used to share with anyone :)
But as now it's long time I haven't had a cake from her, although had cakes from market but they didn't had the love she put in. So yesterday I thought why not I try my hand in baking a cake. I called up mom to know her recipe.
It was my first chance to bake cake and to be very frank I was bit nervous, don't know how it will turn out, but luckily it came out very well and is worth sharing with you guys.
So here goes the recipe as told to me by my mother:
Plain Sponge Cake:
- Maida (Self raising flour) --- 1 cup
- Sugar --- 1 cup
- Eggs --- 4 nos
- Pure Ghee/Butter --- 1/2 cup
- Milk --- 1/2 cup
- Vanilla essence --- few drops
- Baking Powder --- 1 level teaspoon
- First of all take sugar and eggs in mixer and mix well.
- Once it becomes creamy and smooth add ghee to it
- Mix well
- Add Milk and churn the mixer again. Mix it well
- Now add maida or self raising flour gradually and keep mixing
- Then finally add vanilla essence and baking powder
- Mix it well for last time
- Now pre-heat oven at 180 degree for 5 mins
- Take a baking bowl and grease it with butter
- Add the cake mixture to it, level it
- Put in oven for 25 mins at the same temperature
- Take out and do the knife test. Put a clean knife inside the baked cake if it comes out clean as entered cake is ready, if it has some cake particles stick to it, then it means it requires further baking for 5 mins or more. Once the cake passes knife test it is ready to be turned upside down in some serving tray
Voila cake is ready , enjoy your cake
P.s: I used ghee for baking.